Open DOCX File
DOCX file extension is used to open word processing files under Microsoft Office 2007. It uses office open XML (OOXML) and Zip compression methods to allow files to be stored with lesser sizes. It is the successor of the older version .doc which can still be opened through applications supporting DOCX. However to open DOCX files on older applications, it is recommended to install a different compatibility software.
DOCX was released as part of Microsoft Office 12. MS Word versions 2000, 2002 and 2003 can still render this file by downloading the require software from Microsoft's website. Installing the software will allow the application to open DOCX files.
Older Microsoft Office releases were using binary files to store data. This limited some applications to operate with Microsoft Office applications. With the release of new versions using OOXML, other applications of are now able to access these files.
One security issue of is the addition of Active X control to the application. Macros containing malicious codes can still be embedded with the file. However, there is a workaround on that by allowing .docx files with macros from trusted senders.
Aside for Microsoft Office versions other non-Microsoft products can open and edit this extension. These include applications such as OxygenOffice Professional for Linux, Panergy docXConverter for Mac, and others.
Open DOCX File on Windows OS
- Find a DOCX file in question in Windows File Explorer and double click on it.
- If a file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the DOCX file in question.
- If you know the application which can open DOCX file then run it and see if there is a File->Open option in the application main menu.
- If you don't know the application which can open DOCX file then try to search for "DOCX wiki", "application to open DOCX file" or "DOCX file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open DOCX file
Rate this page: 5/5 based on 12 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open DOCX files, file extension docx and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...